Computer Build Guide

More
04 Dec 2014 05:02 #853 by ravendagrey
This is a revised post that was made on the old site that I thought I should share again. If you plan to go out and build a PC this is my recommend build guide.

1. NEVER buy a cheap power supply, All power supplies are ticking time bombs and can take out other hardware when they blow. Always look for the 80 plus certified ones with some kind of surge suppression, that way they are high efficient and will last a long time, and when they do blow it shouldn't take out anything else with it.

2. Get the best CPU you can reasonably afford, The better the CPU the longer the PC will last without doing any major upgrades.It's becoming more common to have CPU's last 5 or 6 years without doing an upgrade. Here is a list of some great CPU's to consider when planning your build and to ensure longitivity to your PC

- AMD FX 6300, Socket AM3+, 6 Core/6 Threads @ 4.1 GHz Turbo - For the money this one is hard to top, unlocked for easy overclocking, $109.99 on Newegg.com

- AMD A10 7700K, Socket FM2+, 4 Core/4 Threads @ 3.8 GHz Turbo - Awesome onboard graphics, great if you can't afford a Video Card off the bat, unlocked for easy overclocking, $129.99 on Newegg.com

- AMD FX 8320, Socket AM3+, 8 Core/8 Threads @ 4.0 GHz Turbo - Great for work and gaming, good performance all around, unlocked for easy overclocking, $149.99 on Newegg.com

- Intel Core i5 4440, LGA 1150, 4 Core/4Threads @ 3.3 GHz Turbo - Awesome gaming CPU, has okay onboard graphics, $189.99 on Newegg.com

- AMD FX 9370, Socket AM3+, (requires 990FX Chipset and heavy duty cooling) 8 Core/8 Threads @ 4.7 GHz Turbo - Great workhorse and gaming CPU keeps up to higher priced i7's, unlocked for easy overclocking, $219.99 on Newegg.com

- Intel Core i5 4690K, LGA 1150, 4 Core/4 Threads @ 3.9 GHz Turbo - Best gaming CPU, unlocked for easy overclocking, has okay onboard graphics, $249.99 on Newegg.com

- Intel Core i7 4790k, LGA 1150, 4 Core/8 Threads @ 4.0 GHz Turbo - Amazing workhorse and gaming CPU, unlocked for easy overclocking, has okay onboard graphics, $349.99 on Newegg.com

- Intel Core i7 5930k, LGA 2011v3,(requires heavy duty cooling and DDR4 Memory) 6 Core/12 Threads @ 3.7 GHz Turbo - Best workhorse CPU, great for gaming and multi-video card systems, unlocked for easy overclocking, $579.99 on Newegg.com

3. Don't cheap out on the motherboard as everything connects to it, This doesn't mean you have to buy the highest end, best of the best, but don't be afraid to spend a little cash on a decent mid range board as they have better and more features and are usually built better and are going to last longer. I personally recommend ASUS and Gigabyte.

4. You don't really need to spend more then $250 on a video card, even $140-200 cards will last years without worrying about "can my PC run this?" and if the latest games start to push the card you can buy a 2nd off of craigslist or kijiji (provided you bought a decent motherboard and power supply that is) for cheap when the time comes. There's no need to spend huge money on a card that in 2 years time is only going be as powerful as a low to mid range card anyways. Even if you plan to go 3 screens I've found that a single Radeon R9 270X was able to handle Assetto Corsa at default settings at 5760x1080 with decent frame rates for under $220 another option would be the R9 280 as it has more video ram for a little more.

Operating Systems

I get this question alot and some guys think I'm nuts when I say this but I highly recommend Windows 8.1, There are many reasons to choose Windows 8.1 over 7 that most people dont even know abut, especially those that think the "Start Screen" is Windows 8.1.

Here is a list of Windows 8.1 features over Windows 7.

- will support 128 GB Ram whereas Windows 7 Home Premium supports up to 16 GB

- Native support for Hard Drives over 2 TB with GPT Partitions

- EFI and Secure Boot support which is not only faster boot times but more secure and less prone to virus on the boot sector

- Built-in Anti-Virus

- Native support for USB 3.0

- Longer Support plus rumour has it that will be a free upgrade to Windows 10

- More efficient as Windows 8.1 uses far less resources

- Far better Task Manager

- Ability to pause and resume file transfers

- Right click on start button menu is the handiest right click ever

If you have any questions about hardware please feel free to ask me, as you can tell from my builds I am not a fanboy of any component and can help tailor the right PC for you and your pocket.

Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2014 15:26 #855 by Dann
Replied by Dann on topic Computer Build Guide
I can vouch for this, Will is the "go-to" guy when building a new scratch system! B)

"Winners forget they're in a race, they just love to run"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds

JSN Nuru template designed by JoomlaShine.com