OSR Driver Interviews

More
18 Jan 2018 14:50 #3562 by Michael
Gentlemen,
During the off-season time we certain have our time to test, our time to explore, and our time to modify, but we want to take a moment to get to know each other a bit better. OSR was originally created to be an open and free racing community, but as we all know we are much closer than that. We have been described as a club, or a group of friends who share our passion for racing. Below is a list of questions. Any any that you wish to answer, skip any that you wish to skip, but please consider taking the time to participate if you wish or just read along as this thread progresses!

Driver Q & A

Q1: Where did your passion for racing begin?

Q2: Which current series do you follow on television or internet?

Q3: Who has been your favorite driver or drivers?

Q4: Of all the cars in history which is your favorite?

Q5: Which circuit is your favorite to race?

Q6: What do you consider to be your most favorite moment during your time here at OSR?

Q7: Who do you consider to be your greatest rival or whom do you consider to be the driver you must enjoy racing with here at OSR?

Q8: Do you have any specific superstitions regarding your racing or your racing preparation?

Q9: Looking at the upcoming seasons of MF1/MF2 and SCART which event are you most looking forward to?

Team Principal Andretti Autosport

"NOTHING BUT THE BEAT"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2018 18:28 - 19 Jan 2018 18:57 #3565 by Dann
Replied by Dann on topic OSR Driver Interviews
Driver Q & A

Mike and I raced radio controlled cars for years. It must have all started there. Then I bought Indycar Racing II in like 1996 and never looked back.

F1, Indycar, and NASCAR is usually on at the house on Sundays as well.

CART: Jimmy Vasser, NASCAR: Ricky Rudd, F1: I never really had an all time favorite but over the years I have become quite fond of Ayrton.

Probably the 1998 CART Newman\Haas Swift 009.c or the Minardi M191.

I have like a top 3 for this, in no particular order. Suzuka, Imola, Interlagos,

Q6: What do you consider to be your most favorite moment during your time here at OSR?
Probably holding off Andre Eremin at Suzuka for P3 in the rain. He had a better car than me but I drove my ass off to hold that position.

Q7: Who do you consider to be your greatest rival or whom do you consider to be the driver you must enjoy racing with here at OSR?
My brother. He is always better than me so any chance to beat him is a special and amazing moment for me. Lately though, Roy seems to have become my nemesis.

Q8: Do you have any specific superstitions regarding your racing or your racing preparation?
None at all. I am usually busy making sure this is all setup correctly for the league that worringy about myself is a distant second.

Q9: Looking at the upcoming seasons of MF1/MF2 and SCART which event are you most looking forward to?
Tough question. So many awesome new venues coming up for the series. Buenos Aires is always a favorite. Also looking forward to the full distance event at Kyalami.

"Winners forget they're in a race, they just love to run"
Last edit: 19 Jan 2018 18:57 by Dann.

More
19 Jan 2018 19:11 #3566 by FBR_BDavis
Replied by FBR_BDavis on topic OSR Driver Interviews
Driver Q & A

A: I've been a life-long fan of motorsports.. My parents were both racing fans, spending time at racetracks along the east coast before I was born and when I was in my early years.. I developed a passion for that famous #43 car that raced around and won on Sundays here in America.. We always watched the Daytona 500 in February, and then the racer's Christmas, which is Memorial Day Weekend here in the USA.. F1 @ Monaco in the morning, The Indianapolis 500 in the afternoon, with the Coca Cola 600 in the evening.. What's not to love?? I eventually was able to go racing myself, first in karts, and then in open-wheeled cars when I was in my mid to late teens.. Like so many others who are trying to make it with little to no financial help, money ran out and I fell back to sim-racing for my "fix".. I've shifted my focus in real life to motorcycles, running at New Jersey Motorsports Park on my 2008 Honda CBR600RR, and will be getting my racing license in a couple months.. There's always a challenge out there.. You just have to be willing to face it..

A: Formula 1, MotoGP, NASCAR, IndyCar, World Superbike, and countless others.. If it races, I watch it..

A: Richard Petty is my #1.. It's not necessarily about the race wins and championships.. I've always been impressed not only with his dedication to the sport, but his understanding of what the fans means to the sport as a whole.. For other disciplines, I always liked John Andretti for his tenacity hiding behind his calm demeanor.. Having met him on more than one occasion, he's an awesome guy.. Pier Luigi Martini is another driver that I have a lot of respect for.. A phenomenal driver who never had a top-tier car in F1, he proved his worth in other series where he had competitive equipment..

A: I'd have to go with the 1991 McLaren-Honda.. It was the last year of pure racing excellence before the onslaught of technology turned F1 into the electronically controlled mess that it is today.. The '91 McLaren was a sexy beast with the world's greatest driver behind the wheel.. What's not to love?? In all honesty, almost any car from 1991 was sexy, whether it be F1, IndyCar, NASCAR, IMSA, etc.. What a phenomenal era in motorsports..

A: Kyalami, Indianapolis, Monza.. Kyalami is such an awesome, flowing track with some nice elevation changes and challenging off-camber corners.. Indianapolis is just classic because of the history behind it and what it takes to win there.. Monza is another classic, where precision and bravery are rewarded as you pilot a low-downforce car through long straights and wickedly fast corners..

A: This is a tough question, as I've have a lot of great moments in my time with OSR.. It would be easy to name my championships in SCART and MF1, or particular race wins like my Indianapolis 500 victories.. Truthfully, my favorite moments involve other drivers having good days.. Whether it is watching Mike Murillo claim a victory in the early seasons of MF1 or Dann Murillo claiming a podium at Silverstone in this past season's MF1, or Ben Leggett winning at California, those moments stick out more in my mind than my own triumphs..

A: This is a tough question.. I've had numerous rivals over my VERY LONG sim-racing career.. Here at OSR, I don't know that I have one particular rival because I always seem to have a bit of a bullseye on my back considering my past successes.. Stefan Travaglio, Jimmy Kite, the Murillo brothers, Zdravko Anticic.. It's a long list.. All of them forced me to push myself harder than I had before, because to beat them, I had to be better than them both behind the wheel and mentally.. I enjoy racing with the Murillo brothers the most because they understand that as much as we love to compete, we like to have fun just that much more.. It's not about winning races, but enjoying the drive as you try to win races that matters to me..

A: I always have two things on my desk when I race.. I always have a #43 STP NASCAR diecast and a #23 1991 Minardi model.. I dunno that it's a superstition, but they've always been there..

A: I'm always pumped for the SCART Indianapolis 500.. It is the greatest spectacle in racing.. As a multiple-time winner of the race both here at SCART and elsewhere, it's a true test of man and machine, testing your limits of focus and stamina at breakneck speeds.. I'm also intrigued by the event at Kyalami, since I love that track so much.. Being a full-distance event, it'll be interesting to see how people approach it..

More
21 Jan 2018 20:21 #3571 by DJBoston
Replied by DJBoston on topic OSR Driver Interviews
Driver Q & A

Hard to say when it began, I've played racing games all my life so ya.

Indycar, a little bit of F1

Greg Moore, Paul Tracy, James Hinchcliffe

the Mazda 787B, the engine is such a beautiful sound

Suzuka, always provides incredible racing

The race where Ryan, Mike, Dann and I finished 1-2-3-4 1 lap ahead of the field in a massive team effort.

Greatest rival was Igor, then maybe Zdravko, especially when I give him my set or some set info and he goes faster than me with it... The drivers I enjoy racing with the most would be Mike and Dann Murillo, Butch, Ryan DeVoe. Drummond is an incredible racer to race side by side with too.

not really, just make sure pedals and wheel are stable...

Probably Suzuka and the finale at kyalami

Driver for Andretti Autosport

2012, 2013, 2014 Turbo Indy Champ
2012 SCART Rookie Champ
Tied for SCART Drivers Title 2012-13 Winter Season

More
27 Jan 2018 07:43 #3576 by Don Boston
Replied by Don Boston on topic OSR Driver Interviews
Driver Q & A

My Dad and I used to watch the Indy 500 back in the sixties and in the 70's I got a dirt bike and loved going as fast as I could!

I'll watch almost any racing I remember is on.

Mark Martin, Paul Tracy, Jackie Stewart.

My 1967 350 SS Camaro!!! lol or our SCART cars

Michigan

For that answer I would need a good memory lol but the truth is anytime I'm on track with the guys is tops for me there is enough to learn that I never get bored.

Pierre Huang when ever I see his Shell car anywhere near me I try harder!!!

No superstitions so to speak of but I need my caffeine and smoke before every race lol

Q9: Looking at the upcoming seasons of MF1/MF2 and SCART which event are you most looking forward to? I am hoping both SCART and MF2 work out for me this year my left arm was broken last fall and I'm hoping that I can survive the road courses as it is still not healed fully!

Born to be Wild

More
27 Jan 2018 10:08 #3577 by Alain Fry
Replied by Alain Fry on topic OSR Driver Interviews
Good idea, Mike !

As far as i can remember, i always have been a Formula One fan. My first memories might be the 1998 F1 season... I remember the Monaco GP of this year and the chaos at Spa-Francorchamps.

I watch F1 on internet because in France you have to pay for it... I try to follow Formula E but i fall asleep watching it.

As a child i was amazed by Mika Hakkinen. Then came Kimi Raikkonen...

I have a crush for the McLaren MP4-20 (2005 season). The car was designed by Adrian Newey, it was so fast, and the West livery is one of the best livery in F1.

It's always difficult to pick only one. If i had to choose i would say Silverstone. Silverstone is very special, especially the old layout.

I don't have much time behind me at OSR but... the German Grand Prix last season was special for me. I don't really like Hockenheim and i was not expecting to have a good pace. For some reasons the car was close in qualifying and in race i tried a bold strategy... It almost worked, i was leading the race. It was very difficult to hold Matt Drummond because my tires were much older than him... And we had the traffic to manage. It was very difficult to hold the 1st place, and 2 laps before the end Matt overtook me. It's always a bit frustrating, but it was my favourite moment so far : fighting for the win when you don't expect it.

Big question. I don't have a big rival. There are some drivers who i like to race against because of their profesionnalism like Matt Drummond or Mat Kane.

I like to have a short nap before i get to official practice.

Talking about MF1... The schedule is very nice. I think Monaco might be a special moment. And there is this full Kyalami Grand Prix for the finale.

Debut : Australia, Melbourne (MF1 Season 11)
Grand Prix : 17
Championships : 0 (Best result : 3rd)
Wins : 1 (First win : Austria MF1 Season 13)
Podiums : 9
Poles : 1
Fastest laps : 1
Teams : Manor-Ferrari (MF1 Season 11), McLaren-Peugeot (MF1 Season 12, 4 GP), Toyota (MF1 Season 13, 1 GP)

More
28 Jan 2018 13:39 - 28 Jan 2018 13:42 #3581 by Ori
Replied by Ori on topic OSR Driver Interviews

A1: It must have begun before I was even aware of it. My mother tells me how I as a kid of 1 or 2 years would want to be put on tractors and make engine noises and pretend I am turning the wheel.

A2: Indycar, Formula E, Moto GP and Superbike. All of them rarely due to being busy all the time.

A3: The list is long. I would have to single out those who gave back to the sport. Those being Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti, Paul Newman, Alain Prost, Michael Doohan, Barry Sheene, Kenny Roberts Sr, Kenny Roberts Jr, etc.

A4: My own. Otherwise: the 2002 Reynard and Lola Champ Car prototypes, the Spec Racer Ford, the Ferrari F40 and F50, the Viper, the Oldsmobile Aerotech, the Ariel Atom, etc.

A5: So many. Imola 1995-2006, Spa 1979 - 2003, Nürburgring GP 1985 - 1999, Mosport, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, etc.

A6: This is a tough one. Everything from the time when I found SCART until the last SCART Michigan 500 race has been a wonderful, beautiful story. I would have to mention my first season, Tuso and me upheaving SCART, the arrival of the Murillos, the arrival of the Bostons, the successful merger of SRL and SCART, Butch (Mr Perfect), Justin Lee (my beloved tart I need to personally slap across his face), Z and me teaming up in season 6 to live Indycar and team spirit, race real life racers and Andretti Autosport and beat them, seeing the rise of MF1, winning in Imola in a Ferrari, Marcus winning Milwaukee with the set I gave him, having electric engines in SCART season 9, seeing the return of SCART on GSCE and AMS, the creation of the Racing Sports Foundation, etc.

Q7: Who do you consider to be your greatest rival or whom do you consider to be the driver you most enjoy racing with here at OSR?

A7: My rivals in my first SCART season, Justin Amundrud, Brent Amundrud and Bretas were tough and fair and great. I am always in greatest awe remembering the time we had and the spirit and culture we shared. And then there have been single races where I thoroughly enjoyed racing Ryan, Mike, Danier, Botch, Z, Will, DJ, Sergio, Justin Lee, etc.

A8: I do not have any superstition but if I don't look at the driver and admin preparation guides before the race it feels wrong to even be on the track.

A9: Really, all SCART races. SCART is an evergreen, a fountain of greatness.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2018 13:42 by Ori.

More
28 Jan 2018 23:39 #3583 by Thomas Mundy
Replied by Thomas Mundy on topic OSR Driver Interviews
Great idea Mike.

I was very young when I got interested in racing. I remember I had Formula 1 Grand Prix on the Amiga and I think I was 3 years old at the time. Obviously at that age I wasn't very good and I think my playing of it consisted of going round backwards and trying to crash all the AI out of the race and then drive back round to win as there's no way I'd win otherwise but I like to think I've grown up a bit since then. Maybe not, I don't know. I watched F1 on TV from about 1998 when I was 6. I don't know why it took three years after the game but then I really got into racing big time and wanted to be a full-time racing driver for a lot of my childhood. I used to name cars on the street from about 2 years old on too. Learning the names of them and watching them trying to tell which one it was.

Formula One, IndyCar, MotoGP, Supercars Australia, British Touring Car Championship, WRC. I know that's a long list and really suggests I should get out more.

Q3: Who has been your favourite driver or drivers?
I've always loved an underdog so Giancarlo Fisichella was always a favourite of mine. I always believed personally he was better than people thought. Jacques Villeneuve as well although he could be an awkward so-and-so but to be honest I think that's true of all racing drivers. At the moment I'm very into the Australian Supercars series and so Scott McLaughlin and Simona de Silvestro are people I like a lot. I admire Simona for all she's achieved and I think she proves that women can absolutely compete on a level with men. She had some great performances in IndyCar in lets face it an inferior team and she's got faster as the Supercars series has gone on so I'm looking forward to her performances this year.

Q4: Of all the cars in history which is your favourite.
Wow tough question. Had to think about this one quite a long time. I used to play Gran Turismo a lot when I was younger so I'd probably go with the Mazda RX-7. I love cars that are really sporty but reasonably priced and the RX-7 is that but without being rubbish. Great car.

Q5: Which circuit is your favourite to race?
Spa-Francorchamps. Boring answer I know because so many like it but it really has everything that circuit and even if I'm having a bad day in a simrace there I still find myself smiling. Behind that Monaco, Surfers Paradise and Laguna Seca probably. Indianapolis Motor Speedway is always great from the point of view of the event but I think the event is the bigger than the actual circuit to be honest with you, although I might get lampooned on here for saying that. It's certainly not a bad track by any means though.

Q6: What do you consider to be your most favourite moment during your time here at OSR?
Long Beach in Season 11 of SCART without a doubt. To be honest people say I'm a great simracing driver but I'm not sure I'm great, just solid because I'm my own worst enemy at times. I get easily rattled sometimes and I have a tendency to be very inconsistent. It's rare in my time as a simracer I don't make at least one mistake in a race, in fact I can only think of three occasions in all the simraces I've done, but that weekend I didn't make a mistake in any of the three sessions, practice, qualifying or the race and I think it's the only time I've ever achieved a grand slam by getting fastest lap, winning the race and getting pole. Probably be the last as well but at least I've done it once. And also the circuit is so great.

Q7: Who do you consider to be your greatest rival or whom do you consider to be the driver you most enjoy racing with here at OSR?
Well at the moment Drummond is the one we all want to beat especially on road circuits. Honestly Matt is one of the best drivers I've ever come across in simracing because he's so consistent and makes very few mistakes, something I hope I can learn from. I think the great thing about simracing though is you don't know who's going to be your rival from one season to the next because we have a totally even playing field. That makes it really exciting. I'd say that's especially true in SCART where we always have multiple different winners in every season because every track is so different and we race every type of circuit so it's such a rounded championship. You can never underestimate anyone. I've learnt that over the years.

No. I don't believe in superstitions at all.

SCART. For me there's no more complete racing championship in simracing anywhere on the internet. And I'm not just saying that because I'm admin with it now because quite frankly all the work's been done for me by Dann, Ori, Mike and all the numerous other guys who've built it up over the years. Quite frankly I'm just the driver who picks the Rolls Royce up from the factory when everyone's done the work. That said that doesn't mean I'm not going to give my all to do more with it.

More
21 Feb 2018 14:07 - 21 Feb 2018 14:55 #3603 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic OSR Driver Interviews

I saw some cars driving around a track, I think it was Mid-Ohio, on television back in like 1987. I thought they looked cool. Some had cigarette names on them and others had beer names on them. I was only like 10 so I didn't know why. But they sounded amazing and they looked fast, and the drivers looked cool. It was Mario and Michael Andretti. And some other guys named Mears, and Rahal. Didn't like them much. Still don't.

I watch open wheel, but I also follow the bigger races for Nascar, and the other big series. I stick to cars though. I don't watch much supercross or moto gp.

Michael Andretti, Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna, Matt Kenseth, Alex Zanardi, Greg Moore, and Fernando Alonso

1992 Lola , the T92/00

CART:Nazareth, Toronto, Long Beach - old layout
F1: Donington Park, Imola, Aida, Catalunya

Winning Michigan with Matt Leggett.

In the most technical terms you are your own greatest rival. You are constantly testing your own limits and improving your own pace. But of course I don't look at it that way.

I consider that I have a rival in every season and they always vary. So I will just state the first one that I targeted. That was Peter Kipp. He may not have been the fastest or considered the best, but he was consistently scoring good points and he was in contention for every oval victory as well. I wanted to out score him in every season we raced in. I wanted to limit my own mistakes like he did. I wanted to just become more consistent. It was a great target. It was a great goal.

I try to use the bathroom prior to every event. When I do not I seem to make errors on the track. Brands Hatch was a fine example of that this past weekend.

I am very much enjoying all of our races lately. I feel that the vibe is right with the grids that I am entering. People are there to enjoy and race with each other. It is getting closer to pure racing.

What am I most looking forward to? Indy and Kyalami

Team Principal Andretti Autosport

"NOTHING BUT THE BEAT"
Last edit: 21 Feb 2018 14:55 by Michael. Reason: "The best decision is my decision."

Time to create page: 0.722 seconds

JSN Nuru template designed by JoomlaShine.com